I apologize for the lack of posts this weekend. I’m starting to realize that with the summer having arrived (well, not “technically” but weather wise it is) its getting harder and harder to post on the weekends. They are always jam packed with stuff to do. I’m thinking of keeping the weekends free of blogging, only to not feel guilty if I don’t. Maybe I’ll devise a better schedule in a bit, but for now, let’s call this a Monday to Friday kind of blog.
I’m hoping to post another excerpt from Billow this week, something small but good. I want you all to get a better feel for Gwendolyn, and I want to know if she’s a good character. I’m starting to consider re-writing some of what I’ve already done because this past Friday I read this fairly new YA book (came out in April, review to come) and found that a lot of things had similarities to my ideas. On top of that this book is already in the process of being filmed into a CW pilot (how did THAT happen so fast???). So I worry that people might read my book and think I blatantly took ideas from it. So I waver. I wonder. Should I change my stuff or stick with my gut?
Too much to think about on a Monday morning. Two coffees in and I’m still not awake.
Moving along… Last week I was nominated for TWO awards by the lovely Whitney over at A Serendipitous Happenstance. I know I’ve told you all to go and visit her blog before, but you really should continue. First, she’s a wonderful writer. Her words flow so easily, and reading her stuff is always interesting. Like myself and many others, she is currently writing her first novel in a series, and I for one am EXTREMELY excited to read more. The little snippets she’s posted so far have me wanting more, and I love it.
The two awards she nominated me for were the Versatile Blogger Award and the One Lovely Blog Award.
Here are the rules for the One Lovely blog award:
1. Link back to the blogger who nominated you.
2. Post the blog award image on your page.
3. Tell 7 facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 15 other blogs.
5. Let the nominees know they’ve been chosen!
And here are the ones for the Versatile Blogger award:
1. Say seven things about yourself
2. Nominate other bloggers
Since I got two awards, the people who I’m nominating now will get my make-shift double feature “One Lovely Versatile Blogger Award”. When I get these awards I am always humbled. Because I don’t just write my blog to hear myself talk. I want people to be able to relate to my writing journey, and I want to talk about things that are on my mind, or simply recount a funny anecdote. So when someone appreciates my blog and my words, it makes me smile and it kind of grounds me a bit. Because my words matter, and I have a responsibility to not suck 🙂
So these people that I’m nominating now are all blogs that I follow and adore. I may not “like” all their posts, or comment (I’m still trying to comment on people I adore more. I am not too great at that just yet), but I assure you that I take the time out of my day and read their words. Because how can I expect people to read mine if I don’t do the same for others? Give as you wish to receive.
So, before I nominate some of my favorite blogs, here are some random things about myself.
1. My daughter has made me find my inner teeny bopper again through One Direction (her favorite is Harry, mine Niall).
2. My daughter and I like to have dance parties in our living room dancing to the above, or The Wanted.
3. My Mr. stares at us and thinks we’re crazy, but adds in a random fist pump or leg kick to support us none-the-less.
4. My first award I ever received was in grade six: “Excellence in English”
5. I haven’t received an award since (not including my blog ones of course)
6. I eat my french toast with ketchup… and maple syrup. LOVES.
7. I wont eat my french toast like that in public.
8. My current favorite YouTuber is Jenna Marbles (I can’t believe I only found her a couple of months ago) and I am in love with her “silver unicorn”. Please Google her if that intrigues you, because you wont regret it.
9. I sometimes worry that my aspirations of being a writer are ridiculous, and sometimes think it wont happen.
10. I would rather cuddle with my dog than workout any day (and I do, so I don’t exercise at all. Milton is too tempting.)
11. Salsa is my new favorite condiment. I put it on EVERYTHING.
12. My new favorite dessert is Raw Vegan Brownies. Check out the recipe I use here: Food Loves Writing
13. I love my agenda and use it for everything (I fell like I’ve mentioned this before…). It’s huge and I write anythign and everything in it. Most of the quotes I’ve posted on this blog have made their way to my agenda.
14. Most of my favorite quotes come from Steve Jobs’ Stanford Commencement Speech. People’s opinions on him waver from good to bad, and I may not agree with all this methods, but he was brilliant none the less. His words are some of the ones that keep me focused and grounded and striving for my dreams…
Now on to the nominees!!! For all of you who I’m nominating, consider yourself accepted to BOTH these awards, or choose one, or the other, or make a super combo like I did.
I hope all you bloggers accept these awards and hold them dear the way I do. It means there are those of us who enjoy your stuff, you deserve acknowledgement!
So this has turned out to be a hefty post for a Monday. But now I must stop.
Coffee number three is calling my name…
* EDIT – WOW. I just re-read my blog and 35484 typos and grammar errors. I hope I got them all…*